Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Comin' Round the Bend

All right, folks.

I've been thinking today, and I can't contain it any longer.

The ants is SO in the pants.


The bug is on.


The night before last, when I woke up the customary two+ times to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I was actually chilly. We have been leaving a window cracked to allow the swamp cooler's air to move downstairs.

But I could feel the cool night air -- from outside. And I was thrilled. Both times I crawled back into bed and spooned with Scott to get warm. It did make for some great snuggling.

Let me share my joy:


*The peaches are on at the orchard stands.

And that means that from now on there will be a constant stream of stuff at the orchard stands until Christmas.

*We are eating fresh, fresh, fresh from the garden. Last night we had a dinner of baked beets, sauteed onions, zucchini and yellow squash with tomatoes, steamed kohl rabi and fresh green beans steamed with bacon -- all from the garden. All that with some yummy bread from a local bakery with some butter. And we watched the Olympics and saw Michael Phelps win yet another two gold medals.

Seriously. It was pretty great.

*As the boys and I walk to the track three times a week to run, campus is buzzing with construction projects anxious for completion, teams are practicing, and I can just feel that expectancy that Fall is in the air.
(Maybe it's just me, though -- it is not at all uncommon for me to get excited about something far in advance. In fact, this happens every year.)

But I don't care.
I can hardly wait.

For some reason, season change does something to me where I get all excited about stuff to get done.


What's on my current thinking list, you ask? (Actually, you didn't ask, but I'm continuing anyway. You're still reading right? Nosy, nosy, you.) :)

*What kind of fall wreath am I going to make this year? (This was last year's. -- If I do it again, I think I'll wait until I can get some more brilliant red leaves, as opposed to the more pink ones from last year's gathering.)

*I've set a goal to have my quilt finished. I am hoping all the patchwork portion will be done by Saturday. This Saturday. I'd love to have it being machine quilted in less than a month. And, as a sidenote, what colors am I going to use for the backing and the 1-foot-side-panels that will border the patchwork?


*Lets hurry up and get a bounty of tomatoes! so we can start putting up quarts! I am ready to peel apples! and make applesauce! and apple butter! with dad. Lets buy peaches by the bushel! and start putting them in jars and cold packing, catching a glimpse of that lovely golden juice as the light hits the bottles.


*What will the boys be for Halloween?


*I have been eyeing one of my favorite sweaters in my closet. I want the temps to drop a bit so I can start wearing sweaters. Oh yes, and I want to burn candles on a regular basis and plug in some yummy Wallflowers with fall scents from Bath & Body Works.


*Lots and lots of long walks in the leaves. And just today, as we were at the duck pond, I was imagining our raking of leaves this year and the boys getting to play in them. I think they will like that this year.


Sure liking that these August temps are just starting to show signs of dropping.

Ask anyone who knows me well, and they'll tell you that I'm right on schedule for how I usually am:
My mind is already in October, anticipating the next season, holidays, yummy smells, delicious sounds, and gorgeous views.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...