Friday, November 07, 2014

On Chickens and Breakfasting

Because, yesterday, I mentioned 
strutting around like a chicken, 
I thought perhaps you'd like to see
the feathered ladies at our house.


From left to right, meet Cuss, Lady Gray, Miss Beattie, Bertha (also known as Big Betty or Goldie), 
Little Red, and Harriett.

I've just used six of their beautiful brown eggs to make German pancakes for the children for breakfast, baking in the oven right now.

I mean. 
Look at these beautiful eggs.
These three were particularly big.

But that one in the middle?
Huge.
It's a pretty lovely thing.

I'll serve those kids hot pancakes and some warm Russian tea.  

I wish I could give you a warm cup, but I can give you the recipe.

Russian Tea
Boil for 5 minutes: 2 cups water with 2 cups sugar

Then add, and heat to boil:
2 cups orange juice,
2 quarts of water,
1 teaspoon almond extract,
3/4 cup lemon juice (I sometimes like a little more than this...closer to a cup...but you can taste test and see what you like),
and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.

And then, just enjoy.
Mmmmm.

This drink takes me to Christmas Eve mornings of childhood 
and warm winter nights by the fire.
It's good for chilly mornings, too.

Warm citrus and almond and sweet is a lovely thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...