Thursday, December 04, 2014

She Has Other Ideas

I have to admit that having quiet at the end of each day is something I crave.
After reading and teeth brushing and prayers and tucking in, I kind of sigh with relief and relish in time alone.

But.

Sometimes my Little Miss has other ideas.
 The other night she was having a hard time getting to sleep.
I had finally gotten the other kids down and was cleaning up the kitchen.
I was hoping she'd go to sleep.  When I was finished and she was still awake and crying, I went back down to get her.
Coming back upstairs, we sat down in the front room, lit by the tree.

She nursed a bit, and then I suggested that it was time to go to bed.

She promptly went across the room to one of the chairs, climbed up to sit down, and smiled back at me.  
When I asked her if she wanted to go to bed, she shook her head back and forth, like so.


(Apparently that was not a good plan.)

She climbed back down and picked up her favorite book that's stationed on the couch these days.  
Permanently.

Which is how we ended up reading there, in the quiet together.
We pointed out the eggs that the hens laid in the first nursery rhyme.
We rocked back and forth and tipped over while singing "Ring Around the Rosies."
We sang "Baa Baa Black Sheep" together, her very favorite one.
And we shook our fingers and rapped on the book as we recited "Wee Willie Winkie," a close second in the favorites category.

Some moments are golden and worth not getting time to yourself.

This.
This was one of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...