Monday, October 12, 2015

To Guide Us In These Latter Days

Just over a week ago, we got to listen to a general conference of the church.
It happens twice a year, and these weekends have become places of rest for me---rest, renewal, peace, strength, and love.
This time as I listened, I felt conviction, and I felt God's love in personal ways.
I heard messages that strengthened me, words I needed to hear.
Here are some pictures from our conference weekend, complete with waffles, conference books to take notes in, activities as we listened, fried chicken and mashed potatoes, caramel apples, lighting our first fire of the season to sit by while we read Summer of the Monkeys in the cool darkness of night, with the door open so we could hear the wind rustling out in the trees outside.

And, interspersed between the photos, I've put just a portion of my favorite quotes from conference, with links to the talks that they came from.

"Scripture says, 'Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good.' This doesn't mean all things are good, but for the meek and faithful, things---both positive and negative---work together for good, and the timing is the Lord's.  We wait on Him, sometimes like Job in his suffering, knowing that God 'maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole.' A meek heart accepts the trial and the waiting for that time of healing and wholeness to come. ...in order to have a healed and faithful heart, we must first allow it to break before the Lord. 'Ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit,' the Lord declares.  The result of sacrificing our heart, or our will, to the Lord is that we receive the spiritual guidance we need."  (Sister Neill F. Marriott -- for full talk, go here)

(she has a new-found love of dumping out glue)

"The Holy Ghost doesn't tell us to improve everything at once.  If He did, we would become discouraged and give up.  The Spirit works with us at our own speed, one step at a time, or as the Lord has taught, 'line upon line, precept upon precept,...and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts,...for unto him that receiveth I will give more.'...Humbly ask the Lord the following question: 'What is keeping me from progressing?'  In other words: 'What lack I yet?'  Then wait quietly for a response.  If you are sincere, the answer will soon become clear.  It will be revelation intended just for you. ...The Spirit can show us our weaknesses, but He is also able to show us our strengths.  Sometimes we need to ask what we are doing right so that the Lord can lift and encourage us."  (Elder Larry R. Lawrence -- for full talk, go here)


"Dating is the opportunity for lengthy conversations.  When you date, learn everything you can about each other.  Get to know each other's families when possible.  Are your goals compatible?  Do you share the same feelings about the commandments, the Savior, the priesthood, the temple, parenting, callings in the Church, and serving others?  Have you observed one another under stress, responding to success and failure, resisting anger, and dealing with setbacks?  Does the person you are dating tear others down or build them up?  Is his or her attitude and language and conduct what you would like to live with every day?  That said, none of us marry perfection; we marry potential.  The right marriage is not only about what I want; it's also about what [he]---who's going to be my companion---wants and needs me to be."

(p.s. Loved this quote.  But, it also is strange to be in a situation where dating counsel applies to me again.)

"A wonderful Church member recently told me, 
'I didn't raise my children on money; 
I raised them on faith.'"
(both of those quotations were from Elder Hales' talk -- for full talk, go here)


(Activities: note taking, snacking, drawing, engino building, Mia and I making mosaic trees with construction paper)

"It is not only the prenatal carrying but the lifelong carrying that makes mothering such a staggering feat. ...most mothers know intuitively, instinctively that this is a sacred trust of the highest order. ...To all of our mothers everywhere, past, present, or future, I say, 'Thank you.  Thank you for giving birth, for shaping souls, for forming character, and for demonstrating the pure love of Christ.'  To all mothers in every circumstance, including those who struggle---and all will---I say, 'Be peaceful.  Believe in God and yourself.  You are doing better than you think you are. ...I can pay no higher tribute to anyone."  (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland -- for full talk, go here)


"...to effectively serve others we must see them through a parent's eyes, through Heavenly Father's eyes.  Only then can we begin to comprehend the true worth of a soul.  Only then can we sense the love that Heavenly Father has for all of His children.  Only then can we sense the Savior's caring concern for them.  We cannot completely fulfill our covenant obligation to mourn with those who mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort unless we see them through God's eyes.  This expanded perspective will open our hearts to the disappointments, fears, and heartaches of others."
(Elder Dale G. Renlund -- for full talk, go here)



"...we need women who know how to make important things happen by their faith and who are courageous defenders of morality and families in a sin-sick world.  We need women who are devoted to shepherding God's children along the covenant path toward exaltation; women who know how to receive personal revelation, who understand the power and peace of the temple endowment; women who know how to call upon the powers of heaven to protect and strengthen children and families; women who teach fearlessly."  (Elder Russell M. Nelson -- for full talk, go here)



There are lots of things I'm not sure about, many questions I can't answer.  But one thing I feel positive about, deep down into my bones?  
There are prophets of God on earth today.
I know this.
I feel it when they speak.
Their words bring peace, light, direction, truth, and blessing to my heart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...