Friday, July 14, 2017

Friday Faves

Yesterday, Mia had a dentist appointment. 
On the way home, we got into a deep conversation about gay rights, gay marriage, feminism, motherhood, the gifts women have. 
And you know what? 
I felt like I was legitimately having a conversation with an adult as I tried to articulate my feelings and opinions on the aspects of these topics that we were discussing.
And she was responding by asserting her own opinions, what she thought, and why.
And you know what?
It was so cool, and the highlight of my day.
I kind of sit in wonder at the thoughtful and articulate person that she is, and really? 
I just feel grateful. 
She's so awesome.

And since I just shared my favorite moment from yesterday, I'm going to share some other faves and give a shout out to the work of others that I've appreciated lately.

First?
I've liked this group for quite a while, 
but recently heard this particular song for the first time. 
I am stirred by the simplicity of its message, and I couldn't agree more: 
love, love, and love.
Amen.

And while we're on that same topic, 
let's talk about showing up for others in pain. 
I love Brené Brown's work, and this short clip does a great job explaining the difference between sympathy and empathy. The kids and I love this (we still quote it and laugh). I shared it with them the same night I had them listen to Drew's song (referenced above).

Third thing? 
The more I learn, the more ignorant I feel.
And I LOVE! that.
I'm inspired by research and passionate people and grateful to benefit from their knowledge.
Things like this make me want to be a more conscientious person.
(I am also totally in awe at God's beautiful world and amazed at how it's integrated and systematically connected--layer upon layer upon layer. It blows my mind.)

We are eating! from the garden now (best!), and so I'm gonna give a plug for one of our favorite story books in the last few years. 
I love books, and that includes children's books. 
They are so delightful and deep, insightful and clever, funny, 
and they express emotion in such beautiful ways.
No matter how old I get, I'll probably always have 
a collection of favorites on hand for my heart.
I've never gotten too old for them.
Give this one a read.

And three final faves?

Hikes with my people. 
We've been going and doing a lot this summer 
and I have loved every minute. 

This week and last, I got to snuggle a newborn baby, and not just for a few minutes.
Moses.
If you know me at all, you know I've got a mama heart, and soaking him up was 500% delightful and just so...lovely. 
Sigh.

And last, for now?
This kid's hair.
I LOVE IT.
(And I kind of like him, too.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...