Saturday, September 09, 2017

Dove Hunting

Benj got his birthday present early this year: a BB gun with extra ammo.
He wanted it in time to take it dove hunting on Labor Day.

When he found it sitting out for him, he ripped it open and immediately started sizing it up.
On Labor Day night, laying in bed, I was watching a video of them cleaning the birds after the hunt.
I couldn't help but laugh.

They're sitting in the truck bed twisting and pulling off bird heads and wings.
My nephew Grayson thinks it's disgusting, but he stands there watching.

Benji is totally interested and engaged, actively cleaning and gutting the birds. I think he was stoked to be using his pocket knife on something legit, and when I asked him how it was to clean and gut a bird, he gave me one passionate "awesome". (And it wasn't the little-boy-gleeful-shout version of awesome; it was the older, collected-but-punctuated-and-emphatic awesome. 
Turns out...these boys are growing up.)


Isaiah is completely grossed out and it shows on his face. He is repulsed, but drawn to watching anyway. My favorite line from him that makes me bust a gut every time?
"I could do the feather pulling, but I can't do the decapitating body parts."
Bella, my almost-seven-year-old niece, is clapping with joy at the prospect of taking off bird wings. 
("Okay, okay, I'll do this! I'll do this!")
Oh my gosh, I love her.
Honestly?
Super funny video. 
I laugh every time I watch it.
 And even if Isaiah didn't love that part, he did enjoy shooting at "tweety birds" late that afternoon, 
and Benj loved shooting cans and hearing them PING.
Oh, and the dove hearts. He wanted to keep them.
When they got back, Isaiah promptly told me that he wanted a BB gun and ammo for his birthday present, too.
 So, friends, that's how we're going to end up with two BB guns in the house, and target practice going down in the backyard.
Good times.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...