Thursday, September 14, 2017

First Day

This was the first year where back to school meant going to public school.
Yep.
I said it.
The night before found me running to the store to buy some treats for their plates the next night at our "back to school" dinner.
I came home and stayed up late at the kitchen table writing them notes and hiding them in their backpacks with bubble gum, along with some notes from their dad.

I woke them up the next morning and made waffles with peaches and whipped cream for breakfast.
Threw a roast and some onions in the crock pot for dinner.
Everyone was out of bed, fast, the nerves and newness evident.
We ate, I made lunches for them and did Mia's hair.
We gathered in the school room before we left and I asked them to think of a story in the scriptures that exemplified courage, and then a time in their lives where they'd needed courage.
Isaiah referenced Daniel in the lions' den.
Benj talked about mountain biking for the first time, how he was simultaneously excited and scared.
Mia referenced a scriptural story where an individual had to go back and admit he was wrong. 

Then I read them a verse that I love in Deuteronomy (31:6):
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid...for the Lord thy God, He it is that doth go with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

And we prayed together in that room, with sun streaming in through the east windows.
Then we got up to go and I gave them skittles for their pockets.
They looked so cute.
Then, it was quick:
load in the car, drive to the school, drop them off.
They had balloons in a big arch out front and fun music blaring. 
The principal and several teachers were there to welcome all the kids on the first day and giving high fives. It was really awesome.
I hugged them goodbye and was fine until I could tell that Mia was on the verge of crying.
I called her back to the car and hugged her again and she held tight with teary eyes.

I was so proud watching them walk into school.
They didn't look back.
Even thinking about it now makes me tear up.
I drove away and cried.

But Claire and I kept busy that day.
We had two doctor appointments for me, and in between we hit the store to get balloons for our dinner.
At the second appointment we sat in the lobby reading while waiting to get called back.
(And incidentally, this is one of my very favorite picture books. If you haven't read Wilfred Gordon MacDonald Partridge, do it. It's tender and sweet. I love it every time.)

And then, soon enough, it was time to go and get them.
We waited anxiously in the car, watching for them.
And when they rounded the corner and saw us waiting there, they came running!

We drove home and went into the front room and they talked non-stop.
And then it was time for dinner.
Mia was helping with gravy, 
Isaiah was mixing the mashed potatoes (fresh out of the bathtub in his robe), I got out my Grandma Vera's rose china, set the table, and put a candy bar and tic tacs on each of their plates.
Oh, and snuggled this girl.
Menu: fall apart roast and onions, mashed potatoes, scratch gravy, roasted carrots, salad.
And, of course, "Christmas juice."
Here's to new beginnings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...