Monday, January 28, 2008

Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley: A Giant of a Man

I love this man for so many reasons. I know that, for me, he will always be the first prophet, the way that David O. Mckay is that prophet for my father. I loved his words, I love what he gave to the world. I remember his tireless emphasis on temple work, his counsel to mothers. The way he spoke out on respect and love for women. His defense of virtue, hard work, integrity. His counsel against many of the vices of our day. To do our very best, to try a little harder, to be a little better. To be Christian and loving to all people. Encouraging all people, everywhere, to gain their own personal testimony, testifying that everything hinges on the reality of the First Vision to Joseph Smith in the spring of 1820. And his emphasis on the family and its importance, something very dear to my heart. For his words that he lived by, "Adulation is poison," being a man with no self-importance, illustrating humility and a simple desire to do what the Lord wanted him to do, proclaiming that he was just an ordinary man -- though he wasn't. And, his trademark, unfailing optimism. He spoke with authority, without apology, sprinkling his words with humor, kindness and love. I shout! with praise in my heart:

"We thank thee, O God, for a prophet
To guide us in these latter days.
We thank thee for sending the gospel
To lighten our minds with its rays.
We thank thee for every blessing
Bestowed by thy bounteous hand
We feel it a pleasure to serve thee,
And love to obey thy command."
(Hymns, "We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet," by William Fowler)

President Hinckley, I love you. And I will miss you, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...