Monday, February 04, 2008

Warm Fingers on My Cheek

In a post a while ago, I was trying to describe a feeling that I have at times: one of loveliness, beauty, exhilaration, happiness, of awe. As I was thinking how one might encapsulate these into a central idea, I recognized these emotions primarily as those of gratitude combined with conviction and purpose. I was realizing as I was preparing this post how self-focusing most blogs are, and it kind of made me cringe. I don't want to bring any adulation to my life. But I love reading others' blogs and are grateful that they don't stop posting bits about their lives. I have benefitted from their words, their examples and insights.

But anyway, I have felt that curious feeling this past week, and wanted to share a few things I have felt grateful for.

With the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley, I decided I was going to read again his book Standing for Something. I love this thought of his, which made me reflect and feel grateful for this marvelous gift:

"Have you ever contemplated the wonder of yourself, the eyes with which you see, the ears with which you hear, the voice with which you speak? No camera ever built can compare with the human eye. No method of communication ever devised can compare with the voice and the ear. No pump ever built will run as long or as efficiently as the human heart. What a remarkable creature each of us is! We can think by day and dream by night. We can speak and hear, smell and taste and feel. We can store what we experience and learn in a remarkable retrieval system unmatched by the most spectacular computer. We can learn and grow and progress and become better tomorrow than we are today."


After a medical incident on Friday, my father brought some of these home to me. They are absolutely stunning and beautiful. These beauties are perfect. Thank you, Dad.
I love folk music. It makes me happy. It is one of my favorite things. I have been talking about this album for awhile. I love it, and my copy of it disappeared a couple years ago or more. Scott surprised me with it the other day. Thank you sweetheart.




We left the boys with grandpa the other night to hike up Rock Canyon. I love that place. I have lots of memories there and it never ceases to amaze me what wonders it does for me to get up into the canyon, out into nature. We hiked and talked, made snow angels, and when we got back into the car, Scott said, "And here's my surprise." He had brought an orange along. If you want to know the secret, you can scroll down and link to the post about my own love story in the post about the 411 on my man. But, in short, oranges have always been a part of our time together, and they have always turned up on our drives together at night, in the canyon, etc. It was kind of a lovely way of recognizing and celebrating that. We sat in the car at the base of the canyon talking, eating orange sections and talking about a way we could expand our lives. It was lovely.


This. I LOVE it. I know some folks are probably ready for this to leave, but I am loving it. I feel so grateful for the moisture we are getting that we desperately need, and for how astonishingly beautiful it is. I was out shoveling with my dad for an hour last night. Working side by side with him and breathing in the crisp, clean air was perfect. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!




And finally, for a new prophet that will take us forward.
God bless our prophet dear.

Last night, as I went to bed, I picked up my son from his bed. He was really upset, and I lay down on my bed, snuggling him in next to me. I lay there in the darkness rubbing his back and patting him, giving him kisses. He curled up with his bear, sucking his thumb. Within a few minutes, though, I felt his warm little fingers on my cheek. I am so grateful to be a mother, so grateful for these boys. I don't know how else to express what I feel.
What an honor.
What a privilege.
What a blessing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...