Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Feeling Christmas in Our Hearts

Last night we ate spaghetti (Mia's request),
cut out sugar cookies (for fun),
read about the annunciation to Mary, the journey to Bethlehem and birth of Christ, the shepherds and the wise men from the scriptures,

As I was reading the verses in Luke 2 when the Savior is born, I choked up.
Benji asked something about what was happening to my voice, and I told him that sometimes something touches you.  I told him it was that way for me because I love this story.

Afterward, we ate sugar cookies coated with buttery frosting, bedecked with the sprinkle color of choice.
This December has been refreshing.

Yes, I've felt exhausted at times.
I mean, it is December right?  Sometimes the sheer flurry of activity seems to suck the focus away into things that don't feed the soul.

But I found myself thinking yesterday about how lovely it has been, how anxious I am to hold onto every second, how sad I will be to see it go.
It has been a great time of renewal.
There has been a lot of quiet pondering for me.
Beautiful, lovely, inspiring music that has taken my heart every day, all throughout the day, to the manger.
Every night, reading in low Christmas-tree light with the children about the Savior.
Lots of questions, really thoughtful ones, from the boys, that have lead to some incredible discussions.
I have felt testimony, so tangible in the air, and it has set me thriving again and again.
I feel it every night.  It's my favorite time of day.
Our own advent.  Lighting candles, reading sacred words.  Reflecting on the story of all stories.
And the result?
Inside, to ponder what it means to me.
I have felt that envelop me, and I've been basking in it.
I tremble inside as the sheer beauty and astonishment of the message touch me.

I read this on another blog yesterday and it stopped me in my tracks.  Don't you just love this quote by Madeleine L'Engle?

"Was there a moment, known only to God, when all the stars held their breath, when the galaxies paused in their dance for a fraction of a second, and the Word, who had called it all into being, went with all his love into the womb of a young girl, and the universe started to breathe again, and the ancient harmonies resumed their song, and the angels clapped their hands for joy?"

I feel the anticipation, the miraculous wonder of the story of the Christ child, and rejoice again that it isn't just a sweet story.

It happened.

It's real.

I'm waiting and watching and trying to recognize Him every day.
Right now.
I'm trying to bathe in that joy, and let the truth soak in all the brittle places in my heart, in my life, in my mistakes, in my joys.

It's a lovely, warm, reassuring, glorious place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...