Saturday, October 04, 2014

One Year

Dad, 

You left this place of shadows and constant change a year ago today.  But what you left in my heart is still there, deep and thriving.  When I couldn't sleep this morning, I watched some of your funeral.  I laughed at how beautifully Gordon articulated this: "Doug is the consummate devotee of Johann Sebastian Bach, and a connoisseur of fine Swiss chocolate.  These two seldom bridled passions, for which he felt no embarrassment or shame, qualifies him for inclusion in a group of select few other Bachachocaholics." 

And I reflected on the text of a primary song I said that, for me, summarized my father, as if he were saying this: "I'm trying to be like Jesus, I'm following in His ways.  I'm trying to love as He did, in all that I do and say. ...Love one another as Jesus loves you, try to show kindness in all that you do.  Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought, for these are the things Jesus taught."
Dad, your gentleness and kindness, and your faith, are what I remember the most -- your two guiding stars, the sermon you lived in countless ways.  Your warmth and goodness still guide what I believe about people, and the world, and life, and God. 

Peace to you, today, Dad.
These three words can't possibly hold what I feel, but I love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...