Friday, November 14, 2014

Just Us Girls

This is completely unrelated to this post, but as I sat down to write this morning, Claire donned a walrus nose.

(I think she's kind of adorable.)

But, for what I was really planning to write about, let's talk about last night.

Mia has been asking for us to have a girls night for a long time.
Last night we made it happen.

On these evenings, we get to do the things she wants.

Last night she voted to make homemade pizzas and have a candlelight dinner.

After that, we had decided to do facials and pedicures.

Have you ever done a facial at home?

It's just five easy steps.

Clean your face.
Exfoliate.  
We made a homemade scrub with sea salt mixed with olive oil and some drops of lavender essential oil.
Steam.  
You can put a towel over your head and hover over a pot of steaming water for a few minutes, or you can soak a cloth in really hot water, squeeze it out, and then drape it over your face.  Repeat a few times.
Put on some mask.
After that has dried, 
rinse it off and moisturize.  
(For more details on each step, as well as recipes, go here.)
While we were busy doing these steps and pedicuring at the same time (and, having so much fun, I might add), I found myself thinking about a talk by Elaine Dalton from a few years back that I love.

I thought about this:

"When our daughter, Emi, was a little girl, she liked to watch my every move as I got ready for church.  After observing my routine, she would comb her hair and put on her dress, and then she would always ask me to put on some 'shiney.' The 'shiney' she referred to was thick, gooey cream that I used to prevent wrinkles.  As requested, I would put it on Emi's cheeks, and lips, and she would then smile and say, 'Now we are ready to go!'  What Emi didn't realize is that she already had her 'shiney'' on.  Her face glowed because she was so pure and innocent and good.  She had the Spirit with her, and it showed.
I wish every...woman...would know and understand that your beauty---your 'shine'---does not lie in makeup, gooey cream, or the latest clothing or hairstyles.  It lies in your personal purity.  When you live the standards and qualify for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, you can have a powerful impact in the world.  Your example, even the light in your eyes, will influence others who see your 'shine,' and they will want to be like you.  Where do you get this light?  The Lord is the light, 'and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.'  A divine light comes into your eyes and countenances when you draw close to your Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.  That's how we get the 'shiney.'"

After we had finished, we headed downstairs to watch a movie together.
But before we started it, we were lying on my bed on one of my big pillows.  
I opened that talk on my phone and read her that segment.

True beauty comes from goodness.
That goodness and truth bring the Spirit.
It shines in your eyes.
It warms those around you.
I want her to know this, because she will be bombarded about other messages of beauty her whole life---especially as she gets older and encounters all the negative messages given to women about their bodies and
 what beauty is and how to measure worth.  
I want her to recognize where true beauty comes from, 
and I hope she stays close to the source.
Then she can be a light for others, and for other women.
It's a light we so desperately need today.

******************

And, this is a shameless shout out.  

I am trying to find work.

I'm trying to find something I can do from home to support my family, so I don't have to leave my kids.

If you have any leads or ideas for me, will you drop me a line (my email is in my profile)?  Or, if you have my cell, shoot me a text?  Will you keep your ears open?

Thanks, friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...