Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Beautiful Hearts

Yesterday morning the kitchen table was awash in light.  

 The kids were gathered round, eating cinnamon bread I'd made Sunday afternoon and waiting for the kettle to whistle, telling us our water was ready for the mugs on the counter with cocoa inside.
When it did, I poured the hot water in the cups and added half n' half and served it up.

 Little Miss wanted some too, and I ended up with her on my lap, watching her dip her small spoon in, pulling it out and licking the residue, and then repeating the whole process.  Again and again.
We started to talk about our man, Martin.
We read from his "I Have A Dream" speech, and I was so moved by his words.

This is one of my favorite lines:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I love when you read something and the words swell within you, and their beauty and truth are clear and penetrating.

Later, last evening, we found scriptures hidden throughout the house and came back and read them together around the fire.

I rejoice that, as it says in 1 Samuel, the Lord doesn't look on the outward appearance.  He looks on the heart.  That's what matters.

I love that "all are alike unto God" (2 Ne. 26:33) and "the Lord esteemeth all flesh in one" (1 Ne. 17:35) and that "ye shall not esteem one flesh above another, or one man shall not think himself above another" (Mosiah 23:7).
We ate "black" and "white" ice cream with "black" and "white" chips, together, in bowls, cuz that's how it's supposed to be.
This is what I want my children to know:
All people are beautiful.
All people have value.
Every single person you will ever see can bless you with their gifts, their beauty, their talents, and their love -- and you can bless them, too.
The earth, with all her people, is full of beautiful hearts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...