Thursday, March 03, 2016

Happy 69, Dad

I've been at my dad's grave a lot this past week. 
We gathered as a family on Saturday, stood around his grave, held hands, and talked about things we loved about him.
I went back on Sunday with the kids before dinner and we just walked.
Then, I went back on Tuesday, the first of March, because it was his birthday.

I took fresh flowers and put them in a mason jar and tied some twine around it.
This little verse was given to me after my dad died.  I was moved by it, mostly because of how it beautifully articulates the influence of one person.  Their death affects you in deep and lovely ways because of the richness of what was shared in life, all the love that was there, and their footprint remains in everything you do.

It simply says this:

"Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color."
(W. S. Merwin)

And you know what?
I've put spring on my mantle.  
And I had to put the little organ up there, because it makes me think of him 
(March being his birthday month and all).
xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...