Monday, December 26, 2016

Believe

Last night, sitting on the couch at Christa's and surrounded by family, I opened a gift my sister Sarah gave to me.
It was small, so little, and as I was unwrapping it, I couldn't figure out what it could be.

And then, I pulled out a small necklace on a lovely, simple chain. It was engraved with some tiny words, a quote from Christopher Robin in Winnie the Pooh.

One of my other sisters asked me to read it out loud for everyone, and I began.

But by the time I got to the word "believe," 
I couldn't speak any more.

My eyes flooded with tears. 
I sat there, struggling to gain my composure, before I could go on.
"Promise me you'll always remember: 
You're braver than you believe, 
and stronger than you seem, 
and smarter than you think."

Don't we all need to hear this?
To believe in ourselves?
To believe that we're worth it?
To believe that we're strong and brave, 
that we can do hard things?

It was a timely gift for me, and beautiful.

And now?
It's hanging around my neck, joining another necklace I always wear as a reminder of my sweet dad---the one I never take off. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...