Thursday, January 18, 2018

Letter Writing on Thursday

Last weekend the kids and I drove to Southern Utah to spend a couple of days at a friend's parents' ranch.
Can I just say how much I love that wide open, rugged landscape? I felt so happy and light as we drove along. 
I've got the West in my blood and bones.
(I also heart this picture of Mia.)
And every time I travel with these peeps, I'm amazed at how easy they are.

They read, sometimes we listen to audio books, we talk, listen to music, and sometimes we dance.
They are the best travelers.

While there, we rode 4-wheelers,

the kids got to help feed the cows,


and despite the fact that Lisa's mom has cancer and her hair just started falling out, she loved on all these kids and taught mine how to ride the 4-wheelers on their own.


Coop shot a little bird when the boys were out on the 4-wheeler by themselves. He and Benj pulled off the wings and feathers, cut it open, salvaged the meat, grilled it up, and ate it.



 (Claire wanted to try it too.)
I want the kids to write thank you notes to send to Lisa's parents, so after Claire and I ate breakfast this morning, we worked together on hers. (I write the letters on one paper, and she copies them on her own.)
I've said this before, but 
I'm not sure there's anything I love more than learning-to-write-your-letters handwriting.
(See this post and this post and this post, for example.) 
I love her little tongue poking out in concentration, and the amaryllis on the table (see that little green spear just beginning to emerge from one of them!).

 After the note was done, we did her first reading lesson.
(I've taught all my people how to read, and I'm not about to miss out with this one--even if she does decide to do public school for kindergarten this year.)

Then we listened to some tunes, danced the "Boot Scoot N' Boogy" together in the front room, and I cleaned up the kitchen.

She's watching The Nutcracker now (her request--we have a DVD of it by the San Francisco Ballet), I'm sitting beside her on my bed about to plug in to work, and I've got meat thawing on the counter for meatloaf and baked potatoes for dinner.

I love these simple, quiet, ordinary moments of day-to-day life.
They are special.

Have I told you how much I love being a mom and how I wouldn't miss it for the world?
#truth

So far, this Thursday is giving me alllllllllll the good vibes.
Happy Thursday to you too--whoever you are, and wherever you are.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...