Thursday, September 10, 2009

Considering the lilies

Last night before going to sleep, I slipped in a few verses for spiritual uplift. And I went to my bedroom and kept thinking about this one verse over and over as I nursed Mia. It was lovely to me.


"...even Solomon, in all his glory, was not arrayed like one of these."
(Matthew 6:29, 3 Nephi 13:29)

I thought about the time and energy (and money!) devoted to physical appearance and putting yourself together -- and how much of our culture is focused on this. And don't get me wrong...I love to feel cute, to look cute. I don't have anything against that. But it was kind of comforting, reassuring somehow, to let this sink in and refocus. To realize the striking beauty in simplicity. To think about the fact that nothing man-made compares to what is blooming outside my window, to the grass beneath my feet, to the eyes of my children and the miracle of the human soul.

It nourished me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...