Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Spicin It Up

Well, here's the fruit of our late evening efforts yesterday.

It was a (typical) good, long day. After blogging yesterday afternoon, I folded a mountain of laundry -- with still two more loads to fold tonight, put the house in order and then we all headed out the door to the grocery store.

Came home and got dinner ready: chicken in a cream, white wine sauce over rice, steamed broccoli and roasted beets.

Got the kids bathed while Scott showered.

Sat down together for family night. Scott talked with the kids about prophets speaking to us today, and about Pres. Uchtdorf's promise in the September Ensign about personal revelation and questions being answered thru conference. All in all, it just boosted my excitement for next weekend, and strengthened my conviction of prophets and of how profoundly grateful I am for them in my life.

When we were done, Scott headed out the door to go and help my dad. The kids and I had ice cream and I cleaned up the kitchen while they ate. We brushed teeth, said prayer, and read from our chapter book. And then I felt exhausted. I wrote in my journal because I knew some things from a couple weeks ago needed to be recorded.

When Scott got back a little after 10, we began.

Okay...when they say that handling peppers, HOT peppers, sans gloves can leave your hands with a burning sensation, they're right. I was feelin it loud and clear at 12:30 a.m. as I stuffed them under my pillow and tried to just ignore it and pass into dreamland. It worked.

And when they say that ingesting that stuff (ie if you are that person not wearing a mask while scraping all the inside seeds, etc) can start a number in your throat? Um...ya. Check.

But that aside, it was super fun.

We were still stirring our second batch of jelly at 12:00 a.m., after having added the jalapeno/lime mixture. 10 minutes of stirring, some liquid pectin and an additional 1 minute of stirring and viola! Thus proceeded happy ladling into the jars and labeling to distinguish each batch (one had much more apple juice and no vinegar, the other had hardly any juice, much more vinegar and water and garlic).

Can't wait until our next burger night!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...