Friday, October 21, 2011

Fall Gathering

As I'm typing this, Benji tells me, "We're playing a game when Jesus was born and King Herod's soldiers are coming but we're already traveling."
And then he says, "What town are we in, Isaiah? Are we in Bethlehem?"
"Yes, we're in Bethlehem."
I am hearing Joseph and Jesus' name in the background.
I love their imaginative play.
............

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
--Albert Camus

The past month, I feel like the children and I have been squirrels.
It has been so fun.
We've been up the canyon gathering leaves.
Gleaned hazelnuts from a neighbor's trees. (Treasure!!)Picked up chestnuts from another neighbor's lawn that they were glad to share with us.Acorns on a nearby campus.That, combined with all the food preserving, has made me feel
alive with autumn.

The leaves were to make this (see the cornstalks from my garden?).
And yesterday we were up at a different family cabin with my sister and mother and a slew of cousins. I was working on the chestnut wreath, which turned into a family affair. It was so fun doing this together.
This wreath made me feel challenged (it was kind of hard!), but I like the finished product.It is a simple fall grace, a small piece of autumn given flair with simplicity. And I love all the golden.

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.
--George Eliot
............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...