Thursday, November 10, 2011

Smooching

It's 9:11 a.m. I'm sitting at the computer with Norah Jones on in the background.
I love her stuff.
I was trying to think of what to post about today.
My mind went to a little game that I play with my boys, particularly this one.
But first, I'll tell you a story.

When I was a little girl, my dad was everything to me, a best friend.
He still is.
But he was very, very busy.
He would be gone early in the morning and home late at night.
But here's one little snapshot memory that happened more than once.

My room's dark, the hall light spilling across the carpet.
I can still hear my sisters moving around in the house and the quiet sounds of night.
And then I'd hear the back door in the kitchen open and close.
And I knew my dad was home.
I'd go to the foot of my bed, look down the hallway, and yell,
"Da------------ddy! Daaaaaaaddddyyyy!"

I'd wait for him to come up to my room.
He'd talk to us for a few minutes, or tickle us, or sometimes read us another story.
Sometimes, if we were downstairs and he was getting us up to bed, he'd have us run or he was gonna tickle us. We'd squeal with delight and pretend we didn't want to be chased and tickled, but we were reveling in it.

But (and here's where we come to today, and what continues).
He would often tease us with what I'll call "the smooch."
He'd slurp loudly and get his lips all wet and then my sister and I would dive under covers and squirm and laugh and try to hide from his lips coming to plant a big smacker on us.  I treasure that memory.
This tradition continues at our house, especially with this one.
 I'll tuck him in and lather up my lips and try to plant one on him when he's squirming and laughing and wriggling every which way. And then he likes to do it back to me.
Sometimes I wet willy his ear.

Or, sometimes it happens like this. We're taking a cute little shot of the boys giving me a kiss.
Which then falls apart into this, both of them trying to put a smooch on my cheeks:
Ah, well.
It's fun.

(And the free getaway winner is drawn tomorrow.  You've got just over 26 hours to enter if you want to be in the drawing.  Go HERE to know what you need to do.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...