Thursday, December 29, 2011

Watch This

It is a gray day outside.
Still no snow.
Cold, traces of rain on the sidewalk.

I'm thinking of my winter mantle and need to decide what I'm going to do.
Everything gets switched out next week.
I'm always sad to take it down, but feel weird if it's still up when it clearly isn't Christmas time anymore.
Part of what makes it special is that it's only up for a window of time.

Yesterday was my friend's son's birthday.
He would have been 29.
He died, both mercifully and tragically, a few years ago.

Last night I watched THIS video and was touched by its message.
Powerful, beautiful, sustaining, truth.

I thought about the fallibility of life.
How, in a single second, life as I know it could change.

I thought about wanting to change myself.
To be more gentle.
To look more outward.
To not be harsh in how I speak to others, especially to my children.
To build bridges of love.
To be willing to put myself out there.

That how we interact and treat each other matters.
I wondered, as I have before, what it would be like to lose a child.
I honestly can't imagine it.
But when I think of losing what I love, it inspires me to love better what I have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...