Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Truth of Family

A few weeks ago Mr. C. gave the family home evening lesson (we take turns).  
He was teaching the children about the scriptural phrase in Ephesians where it talks about having your loins girt about with truth.
He got out his climbing harness and pulled up some photographs on the computer from previous rappelling trips to show them folks descending beautiful red rock cliffs into cooler, shaded regions below.
He talked about how truth is a harness that keeps us from harm; it literally keeps us safe and can save our lives.  It enables us to negotiate the otherwise frightening pitfalls of life.

I loved his analogy, and I feel profound gratitude for truth in my life.
Lately, I've felt especially grateful for the truth of family.
A couple weeks back I was teaching a group of girls about their roles as women.
It's a topic I'm passionate about because I absolutely love what I do, and I believe that women have profound influence.
I had a couple pictures at the front of the room: one of me and Mr. C., and one of our kids.
I told them that these pictures summed up where it's at for me.
Those photographs show what is my life and heart.

I know I'm biased, but I think my babies are the cutest babies.  Ever.
And I believe, fundamentally, in the truth of family.
In its strengthening.
In the power for good that comes from close relationships.
In simple times together eating, talking, praying, reading, sharing and crying, laughing, playing, exploring, growing, learning.
Sharing our lives.

Joseph F. Smith said: “There can be no genuine happiness separate and apart from the home, and every effort made to sanctify and preserve its influence is uplifting to those who toil and sacrifice for its establishment."

This reverberates inside my heart, and I need to remind myself of it.
Such powerful words can guide my hands, my voice, my heart, my choices, my priorities.
These people, this family of mine, is my greatest joy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...