Thursday, December 18, 2014

Birthday Tea and Cathedral Going

Yesterday we gave thanks via celebration for this 
 thoughtful, 
quiet, 
faith-filled,
kind-hearted, 
sensitive,
good-to-the-core,
and loving girl.

It was the perfect day for birthday tea.
I made chocolate cake with mint icing, 
dusted with crushed peppermints.
The girls got in their finest and ate this while 
drinking hot chocolate with cream.

Last night, she and I headed to dinner 
and then to a Christmas Carol Service.
 It is one of my favorite traditions in December.

I was thinking this morning about how we call the week leading up to Easter "Holy Week."

At our house, it is a week of readings and focus, listening to a Bach passion, anticipating Easter morning.

I feel that this last week before Christmas 
also needs the title of "Holy Week."

It is easy to let December become a frenzy.
I want less commitments, less of a schedule.

Last night provided just such an occasion, 
even tho we were away from home.

Being in a cathedral, walls covered in gorgeous murals, 
the church all a hush and washed in low light.

Even though they sung some familiar favorites, 

The translation reads: 

Light, 
warm and heavy as pure gold, 
and angels sing softly to the new-born babe.

The other day I was listening to an old talk by Elder Maxwell 
and got this great reminder: 

"Each of us is an innkeeper who decides if there is room for Jesus!"
Amid the gatherings and the food (the chocolate!), 
lights and presents and preparations, 
I crave quiet---precious hours 
to reflect and process, my own moments to worship and praise and adore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...